We’re proud to announce our 9th year of collaboration with Barefoot Wine and the return of the Barefoot Wine Beach Rescue Project!
Stopping at 6 key locations across the UK, this year’s event is set to kick off during the weekend of the 21st and 22nd of May at Brighton and Southend respectively. From there it will then visit the north west, stopping at St Annes and New Brighton on the 11th and 12th of June before the final weekend which will see Whitley Bay and Portobello Beach visited on the 9th and 10th of July. As these locations are all key hubs with fantastic beach clean organisations and communities these events are also celebrations of all the hard work everyone does in keeping our beaches barefoot friendly.
This will be the 9th installment of the Barefoot Wine Beach Rescue Project that has seen over 6,000 enthusiastic volunteers remove 13 tonnes of marine litter from 52 beaches across the UK. The Barefoot Wine Beach Rescue Project has always been a great event with the likes of singer Ben Howard and TV’s Ben Fogle and Kate Humble joining us as ambassadors for the project in recent years and last year’s events playing host to the Barefoot Sand Bars – bars made from sand on which the wine was served and this year’s event will see a giant set of scales brought to each clean. The Scales of Gra-TOE-tude will be used to weigh the litter collected as well as the amount of plastic recycled against its weight in wine – beach clean volunteers will then be asked to guess the weight with the prize of a bottle of Barefoot Wine available!
This event is follows on from our hugely successful Big Spring Beach Clean which saw 250 beach cleans taking place across the UK, mobilising over 8,100 beach clean volunteers and removing 35 tonnes of marine litter of which 10 tonnes was recycled. Once again we’ll focus on recycling as much marine plastics as possible, with all that we collect from each Barefoot clean being brought back to SAS HQ to be recycled into new products.
This year’s details are;
- Brighton Beach – Saturday 21st May 2pm – 4pm – Meet in front of Yellowave, BN2 1EN – Join Facebook Event here.
- Jubilee Beach, Southend – Sunday 22nd May 2pm – 4pm – Meet in front of mini golf, SS1 2ES – Join Facebook Event here.
- St Annes, Lytham – Saturday 11th June 2pm – 4pm – Meet south of the pier, FY8 1SB – Join Facebook Event here.
- New Brighton – Sunday 12th June 2pm – 4pm – Meet at Fort Perch Rock, CH45 2JU – Join Facebook Event here.
- Whitley Bay – Saturday 9th July 2pm – 4pm – Meet below Plaza, NE26 1BG
- Portobello Beach, Edinburgh – Sunday 10th July 2pm – 4pm – Meet in front of swimming pool, EH15 2BS
More than a beach clean these events are fun and exciting where various competitions are held and adults are thanked with a glass of wine at the end the clean.