Current members of the Protect Our Waves All Party Parliamentary Group – this page will be updated as new Members of Parliament join the group.
The Protect Our Waves All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) was set up in 2014 in the Palace of Westminster. Surfers Against Sewage brought together twenty-three MPs representing the majority of the UK’s key coastal communities, to address the most urgent environmental issues highlighted by the Protect Our Waves (POW) petition – marine litter, water quality and coastal development.
This is the first ever All Party Parliamentary Group to specifically focus on protecting surfing habitats and was the result of over 55,000 surfers, environmentalists and recreational water users signing the POW petition – the biggest ever enviro-surf petition! This is an unprecedented platform for SAS to discuss urgent environmental threats and campaigns directly with politicians, business leaders, environmental experts and civil servants.
The Protect Our Waves All Party Parliamentary Group is more important then ever at representing coastal communities and addressing the key threats to the marine environment as the country prepares to trigger article 50, starting the process of revoking our membership of the European Union.
In 2016 the group meet to discuss water quality and ocean plastics. In 2017 the group will be continuing the debate on ocean plastics and focusing on solutions to tackle throwaway plastic bottles and improving our understanding of marine conservation.
Below is a list of the current Protect Our Waves All Part Parliamentary Group members. If your MP isn’t on the list, please write to them inviting them to join the group:
Surfers Against Sewage Protect Our Waves All Party Parliamentary Group
- Steve Double MP, Newquay & St Austell (Chair – POW APPG))
- Geraint Davies MP, Swansea West (Vice Chair – POW APPG)
- Sarah Newton MP, Truro & Falmouth
- George Eustice MP, Redruth, and Camborne
- Scott Mann MP, North Cornwall
- Craig Mackinlay MP, South Thanet
- Rebecca Pow MP, Taunton Deane
- Caroline Nokes MP, Romsey and Southampton North
- Tobias Ellwood MP, Bournemouth East
- Jeremy Lefroy MP, Stafford
- Neil Carmichael MP, Stroud
- Michael Ellis MP, Northampton North
- Sir Peter Bottomley MP, Worthing West
- Gary Streeter MP, South West Devon
- Caroline Dinenage MP, Gosport
- Teresa Pearce MP, Erith, and Thamesmead
- Kevin Barron MP, Rother Valley
- Kerry McCarthy MP, Bristol East
- Tom Blenkinsop MP, Middlesborough South and East Cleveland
- Jonathan Reynolds MP, Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley, Longdendale, and Dukinfield
- Caroline Lucas MP, Brighton
- Mark Williams MP, Ceredigion
- Martyn Day MP, Linlithgow and East Falkirk