Ocean School is an immersive hands-on education programme designed by SAS in collaboration with Parley for the Oceans to raise student’s awareness of the plastic pollution problem in the places they love… and ask for their help! Ocean School will provide students with the opportunity to explore, investigate and respond to the environment they live in. Empowering them to identify and embrace the vital part they play in protecting the places they love. Our ‘Ocean School Graduates’ can become guardians of the oceans for us all.
Parley x SAS Ocean School has been designed to not only raise students awareness of the plastic pollution crisis blighting our shores, streets and everyday lives but, and arguably most importantly, it provides students with the chance to explore the beautiful coastline. Empowering them to identify and embrace the vital part they play in protecting the places they love.
The Parley x SAS Ocean School delivery model has been designed to work alongside key curriculum targets for KS1 – 3 pupils including; Relationships in an ecosystem, Preparing to play an active role as citizens and working scientifically.
What Happens At Ocean School?
- Welcome to Ocean School – Shoes and socks off, trousers rolled up. First things first, it’s time to feel the sand and sea between our toes as students take a tour of our ‘classroom’ for the day
- Plastic Free Coastlines 101 – Down to business. Our first and most important task is to engage, enrage and inform the students on the impacts that ocean plastic pollution has. From the harm it causes to wildlife to the toxic threats of microplastics, this interactive lecture will arm the students with shocking stats and facts, equipping them for the campaign ahead and lighting the activist fire in their bellies!
- Clean Wave Beach Clean – Hands on action. Time to learn about the problem first hand. Kitted out with beach clean gloves and buckets students will work together to sweep as much plastic pollution as they can from their beach
- Ocean Plastic Surveying and Sorting – Understanding and evidencing the problem. Students will then enter our Ocean School Lab where they will work in research teams to separate, categorise, record, analyse, report on (and recycle!) the types and amounts of ocean plastic pollution that they find
- Food Web Wars – Exploring food pyramids through noisy play. We’ll get everyone moving again with our giant interactive where students will challenge each other to ocean life themed ROCK – PAPER – SCISSOR duels to explore how our marine food chains function, all the way from plankton to our plates
- Rock pool Investigation – Recognising human impact on our ecosystems. We’ll then head out on a rock pool adventure where students will connect what we’ve learnt about plastic pollution, ecosystems and food chains with the plants and animals such as; filter feeders and small fish
- Creating a Circular Ocean Economy – Avoiding – Intercepting – Redesigning (A.I.R) throwaway plastics. It’s time to talk solutions! The students will enter our giant interactive, sandy ‘circular ocean economy diagram’ and, in their research teams, will utilise cradle to cradle thinking to discuss and noisily propose potential solutions to the plastic pollution problem
- Ocean School Graduation – Official Ocean Guardians. After a quick fire, intense two and half hours we hope every student will be ready to pledge to help us create plastic free coastlines. They will receive a special ‘Ocean Guardian’ badge and certificate before ‘graduating’ with some fun with their friends on the beach