Surfers Against Sewage is looking to recruit a dynamic and experienced individual with a campaigning (preferably environmental) and events background to develop SAS’s ‘Motivocean – 20th Anniversary Beach Clean Tour’. The successful candidate will also work on various campaigns, which feed directly and indirectly into the tour.
Salary: On application
Based in St Agnes, Cornwall
Contract: 1 year full-time
Nature of work undertaken:
The successful applicant will oversee the new SAS programme, ‘Motivocean – Nationwide Beach Clean & Sports Tour’.
This summer, SAS will develop & deliver its most ambitious beach-clean, sporting and educational tour. SAS will offer beach clean volunteers the opportunity to access and experience exciting sports, including many Olympic water sports, by participating in the protection of the very environment that facilitates them – our beaches & oceans. The sea and coastal environment are a vital component of so many sporting activities from sailing to surfing, windsurfing to volley ball, and through this initiative SAS aims to reinforce and build awareness, linking sport and protection of the environment.
These beach clean & educational events will take place across the UK, utilising the network of SAS regional representatives and new lead volunteers, enrolled through various sources including a GIS map system on www.sas.org.uk. SAS will target 20 different coastal communities across the UK in August 2010. We anticipate attracting young people from the local areas, towns & cities, and will particularly focus on attracting individuals from less privileged backgrounds.
The candidate will liase sponsors, service providers, SAS Regional Reps, volunteers, suppliers, the media and other stakeholders to deliver a successful tour, attracting over 1000 new, young volunteers to 20 events.
- Plan and deliver 20 Motivocean beach clean and sports events nationwide
- Liase with SAS regional reps & volunteers to deliver events
- Develop Motivocean materials to attract volunteers, primarily from 16-24 age bracket
- Develop a media and marketing strategy to effectively promote the events
- Liase with sports clubs to deliver sports incentives fof each event
- Effectively manage the Motivocean budget
- Support the Campaign Director on various issues, campaigns & events
- Degree, preferably in related subject
- Events organising experience
- Good communicator, both written & verbal
- Understanding of PR and marketing across all media, including social networking forums, blogs, broadcast and print
- Interest in the marine environment
- Understanding of the water sports sector/community
- Dedicated team player
- Self motivated but able to work under instruction
- Experience of working with and co-ordinating volunteers
- Full clean UK driving license
- Ability to work flexible hours, sometimes away from home
- IT literate
- Budgeting experience
- Experience of the NGO/Charitable sector
- Experience of working with underprivileged young adults
- Campaigning experience
- Member of SAS
- Design skills
- Active recreational water user