Surfers Against Sewage has been the official charity partner of the world-famous Boardmasters surf & music festival in Newquay, Cornwall for over ten years. From the 6th – 10th August, thousands of surfers and beach-lovers will again come together to surf, watch some of the globe’s best surfers and enjoy an unrivalled music line-up.
However the real star of the show is the stunning North Cornish coastline and it is our firm belief that every song, wave, beer and burger enjoyed by a Boardmasters reveller should be accompanied by a pledge to protect our precious oceans, waves and beaches for all to enjoy.
It is vital that this pledge is not a silent one and as such SAS will be calling on each and Boardmasters reveller to take tangible action by visiting the SAS tent or stopping one of our fantastic team of Regional Reps to sign our marine litter petition, buy an SAS raffle ticket, become an SAS member and join in with our amazing program at daily activities.
Below is our daily program of just some of the activities, challenges and surprises that we invite you all to get involved with;
Taking Place Daily at the SAS Tent
- 10:30 – 11:30 – Surf Movie Screenings: Inspirational stories like Patagonia’s Slow is Fast and Come Hell or High Water and Mickey Smith’s Dark Side of the Lens
- 11:45 – 12:45 – Marine Litter Art Workshops – Join our artists and create your very own Sea Creatures
- 13:00 – 13:30 – SAS’s Marineopoly – Play our giant educational board game and win cool SAS prizes
- 13:30 – 15:00 – Marine Litter Missions – We’re calling for “Sea-cret Agents” to join us each day to take on marine litter!
- 15:00 – 16:00 – Indie Kitchen Secret Session (Fri, Sat & Sun only) – Have you got an SAS Golden Ticket?
- 15:30 – 16:30 – Marine Litter Art Workshops – Join our artists and create your very own Sea Creatures
- 17:00 – 17:30 – Come and say “Hi!” Meet our Surfers, musicians, campaigners and artists at the SAS tent as we wind down for the day
- 18:00 – 19:00 – SAS TV’s ‘Today at Boardmasters’
These are just a handful of our plans for the week, so come and find us at Fistral, Watergate (NB: only Friday – Sunday) and join us to give a little back to the marine environment that provides us with so much!
Over the last 10 years we’ve brought our environmental campaigns to thousands of festival-goers from all corners of the UK, to get them more involved in protecting oceans, waves and beaches around the country.
- 15,000 festival-goers signed the Protect Our Waves petition in 2013, which SAS delivered to 10 Downing Street.
- 1000’s of Marine Litter Activists have joined us to sweep 100s of kilograms of marine litter from Fistral beach.
- 100’s of lead volunteers have given their time and passion for free to help make the SAS presence at the festival so impressive. Many of these guys are now SAS Reps.
- Stars like Ben Howard, Gabrielle Aplin, Newton Faulkner, Xavier Rudd and many more have pledged their support for SAS clean water and marine litter initiatives.
This has made a real and noticeable difference in protecting beaches from Land’s End to John O’Groats, so add your action to this amazing list of achievements during Boarmasters 2014.
See you next week!