Surfers Against Sewage (SAS) is looking for an experienced office administrator to join its small team in St Agnes, Cornwall. The role would suit a numerate and very well organised individual who is able to work reliably often on their own initiative. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and numeracy are essential. Experience of using Sage and administering direct debits is also essential and experience of using databases is desirable. Experience of working with and co-ordinating volunteers would also be a distinct advantage.
Office Administrator (Part-Time)
- Hours: 22.5 hours per week
- Salary: £14,000 pro-rata (3 days week – 22.5 hours a week)
- Holidays: 25 days per year plus Bank Holidays pro-rata
- Download job description
- Download application form
Surfers Against Sewage
Surfers Against Sewage is an environmental charity protecting the UK’s oceans, waves and beaches for all to enjoy safely and sustainably, via community action, campaigning, volunteering, conservation, education and scientific research. SAS projects target environmental issues affecting beaches including marine litter, sewage pollution, climate change, toxic chemicals, shipping and coastal development. SAS has over 50,000 active supporters across the UK.
Office administration duties
- Ensuring all staff have equipment necessary to perform their roles.
- Overseeing all office systems – i.e. computers, phones, photocopier, internet, alarm.
- Responsible for maintenance of van (booking service/MOT/repairs), environmentally friendly breakdown cover, insurance and tax etc…
- Ensuring that the office (foyer, 1st floor, remains well-presented and displays (posters, pictures, hangings) are updated appropriately.
- Responsible for Insurance, Fire and Health and Safety provisions in the office, including writing policies and risk assessments and ensuring they are reviewed annually and that staff are aware of their own responsibilities and are adequately trained where necessary.
- Responsible for ensuring the office is compliant with current business regulations eg Cookie Law, PCIDSS, Data Protection, Health & Safety.
- Maintain and update company policies (equal-opportunities, health and safety, training and development) and maintain the current staff handbook.
- Maintain personnel files.
- Induction of new staff.
- Assist the Executive Director in recruiting new staff i.e. advertising job vacancies, processing applications and writing to successful & unsuccessful candidates.
Volunteer co-ordination duties
- Responding to all enquiries for internships, volunteering and work experience.
- Supervising volunteers and work experience students within the office.
- To recruit and retain SAS volunteers, develop links with volunteer providing organisations and maintain and update volunteer database.
- To develop a regular volunteering capacity to support membership processing, events and data entry.
- Facilitate access to volunteer resources for SAS campaigns, events and other activities.
Membership and supporter duties
Ensuring quick and efficient processing of membership orders, and accurate processing of supporter data, including:
- Prepare weekly cash & cheque batches and daily credit card & Sagepay batches and record transactions on Sage.
- Record new/renewing members on the database & record special offer codes/giveaways.
- Print & send membership letters & packs.
- With the assistance of the Admin Assistant and volunteers pack and send out membership packs within a week of the order.
- Reconcile and prepare ad-hoc batches (Events etc) on Sage.
- Responsible for the smooth running and development of the direct debit system, including overseeing the move to paperless direct debits and keeping up to date with current direct debit processes.
- Set up new direct debits with Teledebit and payee’s banks and record on the database.
- Action queries, amendments and deletion instructions for direct debits.
- Update database and print letters for direct debit payers each month via database query.
- Develop data imputing guidelines for existing systems.
- Recruit regular volunteers to assist with data input requirements from events, e-newsletter and other supporter sources.
- File relevant paperwork.
- Reception duties.
- Answer general phone calls.
- Turn off and set answer machine and deal with any messages left.
- Open & distribute daily post.
- Prepare post for collection daily.
- Deal with emails to [email protected]
- Respond to requests for general information and compile and send out information packs.
- Ensure adequate stationery levels are maintained and place orders as required.
- Settle credit card machine at the end of the day.
- Take cash and cheques to the bank on a weekly basis and collect petty cash if required.
- In the absence of the Finance Manager, back up Sage if changes have been made.
- Prepare cheques on an ad-hoc basis (e.g. for milkman).
- Setup out-of-office messages on reception phone and [email protected] email during holiday periods.
- Attend SAS stands at key events.
- In absence of Membership Manager be responsible for evacuating the first floor of the office in event of a fire/fire drill.
- Any other duties as required by the Executive Director.
This role is line managed by the Executive Director, however working closely with the Membership & Merchandise Manager, Merchandise Admin Assistant and Finance Officer will be required at certain times.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please read the enclosed job description and complete the application form and return it to [email protected] or:
Surfers Against Sewage
Wheal Kitty Workshops
The closing date for applications is Friday 15th March 2013 at noon. We aim to hold interviews week commencing 18th March.
Surfers Against Sewage values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Please help us monitor this by completing the enclosed Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form and returning it with your application form. We will separate it from the application form and it will not form part of the selection process.