The internship applications are now closed, however if you are interested for the future please email your CV to [email protected]
- Place of work: Surfers Against Sewage Ltd, Wheal Kitty Workshops, St Agnes, Cornwall, TR5 0RD.
- Hours: 9am – 5pm for 3 months
- Day to day line manager: Andy Cummins (Campaigns), Pete Lewis (Fundraising).
- Overall line manager: Hugo Tagholm.
- Volunteer Expenses: £50/week
The role will include:
- Being an integral part of a highly motivated, dynamic and driven team.
- Becoming a valued member of SAS working on vital high-profile & award-winning campaigns including; Sewage Alert Service, Marine Spatial Planning and marine litter research and community campaigns & initiatives including Return To Offender and The Big Spring Beach Clean
- All projects & activities will be carefully mapped out by the relevant line-manager, with key aims, objectives and deliverables explained and time frames clearly defined.
- The internship will provide excellent professional experience and measurable achievements to help you take the next career steps.
- The candidate must be a good team player and be willing to muck in as and where required.
- Degree or other relevant qualification to similar level
- Upbeat and motivated to undertake challenges & problem solve.
- Inspired by SAS’s mission.
- Interest in the marine environment and conservation
- Interest in community activities & volunteering.
- Good communicator, both written & verbal
- Interest/experience in project & events management
- Interest/experience in PR & communications
- Interest/experience of the water sports sector/community
- Dedicated team player
- Self motivated but able to work under instruction
- Full clean UK driving license
- Ability to work flexible hours if necessary
- IT literate (word, excel, email, internet)
The role will include:
- Supporting all areas of administration for the fundraising team, data entry and donor care through thank you letters
- Researching & compiling a list of coastal universities and approach them to support SAS’s work through RAG weeks.
- Support and encourage SAS fundraisers.
- Researching & compiling a list of schools to approach in order to fundraise for SAS through World Ocean Day.
- Approaching 1% for The Planet partners in order to support the work of SAS.
- Undertaking a review of SAS’s online fundraising activity on www.sas.org.uk
Key responsibilities include:
1. Supporting all areas of administration for the fundraising team:
- To be the first point of contact for fundraising inquiries ensuring excellent customer care of current & potential supporters.
- Process donations and respond to all donors
2. Research and approach various organisations to support the work of Surfers Against Sewage,
- Conduct research using the internet, fundraising directories and other sources.
- Approach organisations to support SAS’s work, using telephone, mail and email.
- Develop a compelling “Case for support” and use this when approaching organisations.
- Develop and maintain spread sheets with all organisations approached, enter relevant information into SAS database.
3. Undertake other tasks as agreed with Line Manager
- Adopt a positive approach to personal and professional development; engaging in one to one meetings and relevant training.
- To be aware of, and act on, relevant health and safety responsibilities as an employee of SURFERS AGAINST SEWAGE and adhere to these wherever you are working.
- To maintain confidentiality in all areas of work at SURFERS AGAINST SEWAGE.
- To carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the post as requested by your line manager or any other member of the SURFERS AGAINST SEWAGE team.
- Assist with the co-ordination of occasional supporter events.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your CV and covering letter outlining your suitability & experience for the role to [email protected]